Veggie bowls of any kind are a constant go-to for me. They are such an easy and effective way to get a huge variety of plant-power in your body, and you really can’t mess it up.
Usually I just chop up whatever is in my fridge/on my counter that my body is asking for, but having some kind of structure (like a “burrito bowl”) makes me feel guided along the way on the Mealtime Express.
There’s not much in the way of directions with this recipe… It’s much more about picking as much of the things that you want in your bowl, cutting/dicing/slicing them to your liking, and then throwing them in. I prefer a little bit of a LOT of different things (hello, micronutrients), instead of a lotta-bit of only a couple things. However, this is your bowl friend, so prepare it how YOU want!
Since I can’t tell you how much of something you should put in your dish, I will leave you with an extensive list of items you can put in your bowl, and let you relish in the freedom that is choosing-your-own-adventure, burrito bowl style.
Food items to consider:
- Grains: quinoa, rice, buckwheat, etc.
- Greens — cilantro almost feels like a must (flavor-wise), but I also like to add other greens — kale, spring mix, dandelion greens, spinach, whatever I can find. Doing about half greens/half grains usually makes my tummy stoked.
- Bell peppers
- Tomatoes — @TWMembers: if you’re feelin’ spicy, add our Sassy Salsa to your bowl! Not a member? Sign up to get exclusive recipes (and other kick-ass content)!
- Avocado — or, add our Holy Guacamole!
- Cabbage — I like red in this recipe
- Oven-baked tortilla chips (or strips) — just make sure they’re corn tortillas if you have a gluten allergy/sensitivity.
- Lime (squeezed all nice and tender over you’re delectable bowl)
- Seeds — pepitas, sunflower, whatever!
- Cheese if you’re into dairy
- Meat if you’re into meat
If your heart/soul/belly is craving anything else that’s not on this list, add it in and eat it up! No limits here in Veggie Bowl Land! Enjoy!